Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Adventures in Potty Training



We're starting to potty train. This is only subtly different than what we've been doing for 16 months. Actual potty practice is basically the same, but instead of wearing a diaper full-time as a back-up, she'll often be in undies.

I started letting her go entirely diaper-free accidentally a few weeks ago. She escaped when I was putting a new diaper on her and I let her go for a couple of minutes while I finished cleaning up in the bathroom. It wasn't long before I heard, "Uh oh! Uh oh!" It wasn't the act of peeing that bothered her, it was the spots on the floor. She likes things tidy.

After this, I was confident that she'd quickly learn not to do that. The next time, she lasted quite a while, but peed immediately when I put her in a diaper. That made me think that I'd better keep her in non-waterproof undies so she'll still see the affect of urinating, but not just learn to hold it when she's naked.

We got Gerber Training Pants in size 18 months. They're a little too big, but they'll stay up. (Actually, now after a few hot washes and my daughter growing a little, they're getting tight on her thighs.) I like them though. Very soft.

Now she lasts between 10 minutes and 2 hours (maybe more?) in training pants. It's not reliable though. We're just giving her opportunities as it's convenient right now. I'm hoping to be able to do this more full time this summer when I'm not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment