Thursday, September 23, 2010

Diaperless




My daughter has been diaperless all morning. 2 "accidents" (both in underwear with plastic pants so no mess really) and she told me immediately both times. Once was about 15 seconds after we'd left the bathroom so I KNOW she was dry, not sure why she didn't go in the bathroom, but this is actually a huge step. Before, she only cared if there was a mess to clean up. Wet didn't seem to concern her at all. Now, I'm not sure if she cares, but at least she notices and tells me.

It's been a few months since she's had significant underwear time. Lots of reasons for this: very busy all summer, out of the house often, disagreements with my husband about how to deal with cleaning up accidents*, an frankly it's easier to leave her in diapers. She still used the potty. We just took her to the bathroom when she asked or it was otherwise convenient.

Since I just was reminded indirectly by a facebook post that kids usually potty train in 2-3 days if they're ready and I didn't have much on the calendar for the next several days, I thought maybe I should try it again. Plus she just found her stash of Elmo underwear and really wants to wear it. I'm hoping the incentive to keep Elmo or Abby Cadabby dry is a good one. I'm not using any other rewards other than praise and encouragement.

Logistically, I have 2 pairs of plastic pants and one fleece cover which I'm planning on using to cover her undies and attempt to avoid messes. Now that she seems to tell me as soon as she's wet, I don't need to be able to see it myself. I think this will work for my husband also since I'm not just letting her run around basically naked to pee everywhere. Of course, this means we can only have up to 3 accidents before I run out of reasonable covers.

Update: She just woke up from her nap dry. It's 3:30 in the afternoon and she's still diaperless for the day. Whoo hoo! Grandparents will be here soon to watch her for a bit while I work, so I suspect we're done for the day but we'll give it a shot again tomorrow.



* I think mopping up the little piddle with a towel and maybe getting the carpet wet and drying it sufficient. My husband thinks we need to thoroughly scrub the spot with carpet cleaner and then rinse it. After we cleaned a few spots (food spills, not pee), the floor was much cleaner in those spots and the rest of the carpet looked gross, even though it'd recently been professionally cleaned. The professional left a lot of residue, I think. We cleaned the entire carpet ourselves using our cloth diaper detergent (rockin green) as the carpet cleaner and now it's overall much cleaner. Now we all want to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment