Sunday, November 21, 2010

Impressions of snaps




When I got up with the kiddo at 3:30am, I decided to change her diaper. (Both getting up and middle of the night changes are unusual now.) Anyway, she didn't want a diaper change... until she came up with the idea of a diaper with snaps. That would be fine. I was in no mood to argue so I tried to figure out how to accommodate her.

We only have 2 types with snaps. One is a sposoeasy which doesn't fit her around the belly so is fine when she's upright, but no good when she's sleeping on her face and just pees out the top-- and it was currently soaking in the washing machine. The other is the fitted diaper we got a couple of weeks ago that my husband declared the worst diaper ever.

Since I was in no mood to argue in the middle of the night, I decided to put the fitted on her. But we don't have any covers that fit right and our best option, the fleece cover, was in the washing machine soaking. I finally decided that I'd use the large bumGenius all-in-one. It's the largest diaper we own and she usually wears a medium so I figured that might be big enough.

It took some work, but I finally got all of the fitted to stay inside the BG. It meant it was a little tighter around her than I'd typically make it, but she didn't seem to mind. Leak potential was high since only the edge of the fitted had to wiggle outside the cover and then pee would wick out. But I figured that was the risk I'd have to take and she isn't usually peeing at night anyway so it might be dry by morning.

This morning: dry bed and sheets (whoo!) and slightly moist diaper that she probably used after we woke up. I took the diapers off carefully and then started laughing. She had 10 round circles imprinted across her stomach from the back of the snaps. Ha! They didn't look painful but it wasn't something I'd considered for snaps before. I doubt most people would be putting on a cover so tightly though.

No comments:

Post a Comment